Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Teacup pincushion tutorial


For Earth Day, I did a recycling type craft today (like most people). I have been wanting to do this teacup pincushion for awhile and finally got around to it...



You will need: teacup, fabric, stuffing, needle & thread, glue, scissors and a scrub bud to help keep your pins and needles sharp (this is optional).



Step 1
Cut out circle of fabric. The diameter of my teacup is 10.5cm and the diameter of fabric needed is a little bit more than double that (my circle was 22 - 23cm diameter).





Step 2
Stitch around perimeter of fabric in a long running stitch – no need to knot the end.





Step 3
Gather up the circle about halfway and fill with stuffing (and scrub bud if using) until nice and full. I didn’t overstuff mine as I wanted it to sit down in the cup and not above the lip too much.



Step 4
Pull the gathers as tight as you can at the bottom and tie a knot in the thread before trimming off.



Step 5
Apply liberal amounts of either hot glue or normal tacky craft glue to inside of cup. Firmly press fabric ball into the cup and wait for the glue to dry. Note: Make sure to not get too high up the sides of the cup with the glue so it doesn’t squish out over the fabric. You only need to secure it from underneath.
Only thing left to do is to stick your pins in it now (or box it up for a present of course). I am thinking this one might be one of my handmade Christmas presents for someone...

10 comments:

  1. Very cute!! I posted a link to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-teacup-pincushion/2009/04/28/
    (found your link via whipup.net)
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. So cute and what a brilliant idea for a present - I have just the sister in mind for this. Thank you for posting - I've saved this page so that I can link to this once I finally start my blog. :D

    (I found you via Craft Gossip btw)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you know this was the next craft on my list?! I found a BEAUTIFUL lonely teacup at Goodwill yesterday, for $.50, and it really, really wants to be a pincushion for my twin sister's sewing corner.

    Thank you! You make it look so, so easy! Now to find some fabric that will go with the handpainted scene on the cup...

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a simple and lovely project! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! Thanks for linking 'casserole' (have to check out your blog now with a name like that - yum!). Carmen, hope you start your blog soon so we can all have a look. I am having so much fun and I am sure you will too. Aunt LoLo, it really is that easy. I can think of loads of things to use this technique for - I have done one in a painted terracotta pot before too. Will have to get a photo of that one also. Make sure you let me know if you make one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made my pincushion this morning. ;-) I'll let you know when the blog post is up. It turned out pretty cute! (It will be at www.lolo-craft.blogspot.com)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would love to have the recipe for your Cowboy Cookies; they sound delicious. Living here in south GA, USA, we have access to lots of pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So adorable - thanks for sharing! I picked up a set of 4 tea cups and saucers in the charity shop yesterday for £3.00 and I can't wait to try it out.

    I'm thinking about glueing the cups to the saucers so that I have somewhere for all my other bits and bobs as well.

    Definitely one to give as presents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for such a lovely tutorial. I have a bit of an obsession with teacups of late, can't wait to give this a try! x

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails